Monday, May 31, 2004

Why people are environmentalists..

I decided that I was no longer content to live in the shadow of the Rockies. I wanted to hike them instead. So I woke up at 6:15am this morning. Left for Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) at 6:30, arrived around 8:00am. I then took the shuttle up to Bear Lake and began to walk.

But first a meterological note. It was 55 and slightly windy on the Front Range when I left home. It was 30 degrees with winds between 20-30mph (gusting to 40) and snowing when I arrived. I drove into the park and could not see mountains.

I arrived at the trail head and selected an easy hike. I'd promised myself that I wouldn't over do it. Though those are promises easily made and always broken. I walked to Nymph Lake (about .5 miles, with a gain of 225 feet in elevation, which is more than you'd think). (note the photo links are to some idealized photos...I'm sure it looks like that sometime. but not in my photos, which are found at extra-vaganza)

It was cold. It was nasty. I struggled to take photos because of the wind and pelting snow pellets. Then I thought, well my blood is pumping and I drove 1.5 hours...better go on. So I walked the .6 more to Dream Lake. More elevation gained. Same problems with wind. I think thought...I'll go further and took some the trail to Lake Hiayah...until it ended in a boulder field covered in 3 foot snow drifts. I couldn't figure out where the trail was, nor where it was leading. I figured I'd walked about 1.5 miles thus far, so I was safe to head back. On the way back something brilliant happened. The sun began to burn off the clouds. I started to be able to see mountains.

But I'd used up all my film at this point, so most of those photos are dark and dreary. Returned to Bear Lake, and felt chipper. So I hiked down to Glacier Gorge .5 miles and took the Alberta Falls trail, another .6 miles. By this time my hands were usable, my ears were no longer shockingly red. Life was treating Aaron B, a-ok. I continued past the falls another .2 miles or so. Then thought, I should go back. And so I did. I finished my hike having covered 5.6 miles (1.5x2 to Dream Lake and points north, and 1.3x2 to Alberta Falls).

I boarded the nifty little shuttle that takes you from Bear Lake to the "Park and Ride." By this time the sun was out in full force, my socks were getting a little drier, and I was wishing I had more film. At the parking lot is a little shop with maps and the like...and FILM. I bought more. I took the nearest trail, Bierstadt Lake Trail. This was about 1.8 miles. I set out. Those photos came out wonderfully. The lake is surrounded by mountains. It's just an amazing walk. So to recap...clear skies, warming sun, good brisk walk (of about 9 miles), some decent photos, and amazing mountains--it's enough for me to think about giving to the Sierra Club.

I'll post some of the photos over on .Extra Vaganza

No comments: