Friday, May 14, 2004

"Good job citizens!"

I am reading a book written by Ray Martinez, the current mayor of Fort Collins (and opponent to my guy--Bob Bacon). Martinez is a former law enforcement officer and wrote this book (posted on his website) called: "A matter of survival: your fight against burglars."

Some great sentences and insights from this book: "Keep in mind that averages change from year to year." If they didn't then you'd have to believe that there was some pre-ordained numerical relationship that governed all human interactions and prevented by compensation in the other direction any deviation from teh existing norm. I'm guessing Ray's not making that argument.

"Lock your door, and take your keys with you." Pretty solid advice.

"It is smart to have a telephone installed in your bedroom if the incident occurs while you are asleep." I don't know what this means.

"A mouse will sneak around the house in the dark looking for something free, but when the lights are on and the mouse realizes he is seen, he will run away. If you give chase to the mouse, he will run until he is cornered. Then the mouse will turn on you and attack." Clearly this analogy is referring to the mouse that roared, and then stole your antique clock.

In a case study, the book talks about a ring of crooks who are foiled: "Finally it was the eyes and ears of the public that alerted the police and led to their arrests. Good job citizens!" Yay us!

"Safes are a difficult topic to discuss mainly because everybody has an opinion about them." I can honestly say, I've never had an opinion on safes. Apparently there are hundreds of talking heads roaming the TV sets of Ft. Collins pontificating about the value of TL30 vs "E" rated safes.

Very little exciting stuff happened today, which is just fine. I won't be able to write about lots of my work here. Which means posts will likely be fewer and farther (further?) between. Makes me sad, because I love writing them. But gotta get things sorted out here. I will of course post as I am able.

No comments: