Monday, May 03, 2004

A Feature Not Found on DFA*

Emily and I were talking about how much we heart Tom Harkin. She was sad because she couldn't find a photo of him in his vest (dapper man that he is). So I went in search of such a photo. Sadly I found none, but I did find a link to a photo on JerseyGOP.com. He was listed as a "jackass." The wit of the right.

I scrolled down through the list. Came to Gwyneth Paltrow. I quote: "We were hoping to add Gwyn to our site on the babe page, but she married an idiot and now finds herself here." Babe page? Hmmm.

I venture over to said page. It's a bunch of thumbnails of "Republican" (I'll explain the quotes) women. Some are fairly attractive, I guess. But there are many infuriating parts of this page.

1st. The heading: Beauty and Brains Competition archive. This would lead you to believe that there is some competition. Nope. Second you might assume that said competition would be related to these women's intellect and beauty. Nope. There seems to be only a few quotes that explain that these women are in fact Republicans. But none of the quotes I've read suggest that they are George Will in a skirt.

2nd. Some of these women are decidedly not attractive. Either as people or physically. I submit Peggy Noonan. Does that mean that Barbara Mikulski is a "babe." Peggy Noonan, come now, that's a stretch.

3rd. Some of these women are attractive, I guess, but I fail to see how they are proven to be Republicans. Example 1. Example 2. This begs the question: at what point does the JerseyGOP site just become a softcore site.

A horrible, foul boss of mine (in Democratic politics) once said, I don't trust any one who calls himself a Democrat and doesn't love pussy and getting drunk. So I'm not making any argument about the decency of men in either party. But this is such a strange and public display of machismo. The lipservice played to considerations about these women's intelligence is stupid. If you're going to have pinups on your web site, at least have the cajones to call it that.

I shall now search for a Democratic version of the same. Just to prove how far we have to go. (as a party..and country)

* I do think it would be fun to have the "Hotties of DFA" Gender balance, and with an eye towards the beauty of the geek a real combination of beauty and brains. For men I would nominate: Dan Craig, Reid DeWolfe (from a long line of deserters) Matt Robinson, Gray Brooks, and maybe Silbatron..though he's really normal looking, kind of out of bounds. For women...can't do that without offending others or outing myself...so I'll leave that for the comments.

No comments: