Wednesday, May 26, 2004

I spoke too soon

I must have angered the culinary gods, because last night was a fiasco. I set a pan out with oil in it, I was going to make french fries. I walked away and in a matter of 3 minutes my apartment was filled with thick choking smoke. It was this way that I discovered my smoke detector doesn't work. So that's on the agenda for today..get a working smoke detector. I'm not sure what happened, I've never seen oil burn so readily. But it's justice for my hubritic proclamations about my cooking prowess.

Ended up making spaghetti-os. A final humiliation. But fitting.

Heading out canvassing tonight. We're making good progress, and it's particularly nice when Bob gets to the door and sees children that he reads to over at Bacon Elementary (named for him). They think he's a minor celebrity.

Went for my first timed run today. I ran just a mile. I ran it in 7:50.48. Not good, but nothing horrible. I remember that I once ran a mile in 6:09. But that was about 6 years and 40 lbs ago. I'm hoping that by the end of the campaign I can break 7 minutes. Just for comparison..the world record is 3:43.13. I ran the first half mile in 3:38...Hicham El Guerroujin (world record holder) runs a full mile in roughly the time it took me to run a half. Though I'm kicking Grant Hackett's ass (he holds the world freestlye swimming) took him 14:34.56. Slow poke.

While trying to find the fastest mile run, I was taken (or selected) the Guinness World Records site. I find those things kind of strange. Here are some of the strangest that I found (that weren't just gross...

Fastest Winkel Picker..what's that. The most soap bubbles blown with a live tarantula in ones mouth...most women breast feeding simultaneously.

No comments: