Thursday, May 13, 2004

So I saw an otter

For right now I'll have to ignore writing about the drive out here. It was stupendous, and marvelous and there are good stories to tell. But it will take a long time, and I want to upload photos.

But yesterday, my first official day in the fine fine city of Fort Collins (hereinafter FFCOFTC...or maybe not) I started the day by waking up in my employers basement. No nothing like out of misery or some other creepy movie. I am staying there until they find me my own place. Incidently, they did find me an office, sort of. I guess there was confusion as to what they were trying to find for me. I will, I'm sure end up sleeping in the office. But hopefully not the third night. After waking up I decided to abuse my body by running. Just to note, the whole thing about the air being thinner here...not a fucking joke. Serious...I was winded putting on my shoes. So I went out and ran around a bit. The Bacon's have a running path that abuts their backyard. You run into the city and along a creek. Very nice. So I ran toward FFCOFTC. To my right are mountains. Yeah, that's not half bad. Ran for about 10 minutes then I stopped. I'm weak, a slight bit paunchy and out of shape--and most importantly as JKD can attest I am a horrible setter of pace. On the way back I stopped at this little wooden bridge, and saw an OTTER. No joke. A little playful water loving mammal. Not a bad place to live, I guess.

After that I went into town, found a good bakery with a kinda attractive woman womanning the counter. I asked and she suggested a prune almond danish. Good choice. Found a good cd store. Justin, the propietor also likes Will Oldham, and though that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were british. corrections were made, and the promise of return trip was offered. Good guy. Tough business.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I got to see Buffy. Yup. She's out here managing a race for a guy in Western Colorado. Her district goes to the wyoming and utah border. Holy shit. They sent the radical SFer to ranch land. We were both in Denver for training, and schmoozing at this fundraiser. Good stuff.

oh, and it snowed yesterday evening. Snowed. And again this morning.

All in all life is good. I awoke at 5:00 am. I am losing sleep thinking about this race on the start of day 2. Maybe not a good sign, but it felt familiar and that was comforting.

No comments: