Wednesday, May 05, 2004

What I want for my next birthday

I went to a Flaming Lips concert when I was in college. It was probably the best concert I've ever seen. Or at least the most spectacular. It was in fact just that--spectacle. Midway through the show, the lights went to about 15% and Wayne Coyne (lead singer) began throwing baggies into the audience. He told everyone to wait till the lights came back on to open their presents. He turns away from the crowd, putting on a 2.5x2.5 strobe light. When the music kicks in and the lights flash on, he turns around and is wearing this amazing contraption. We open the baggies, inside they are filled with white confetti. The lights go up and down throughout the song, but a strobe light that large and that powerful is fucking amazing. I could see through my eyelids. I would close my eyes and could still see outlines of people. It was the best argument I've ever experienced for drug use.

So now the Flaming Lips are at it again. Witness this report from Coachella (which mark, brian and allison tell me was unreal. Very warm, but apparently the Pixies are amazing live)

"The Flaming Lips also performed on the main stage in front of the 50,000 person strong crowd, though their set time was cut short due to technical difficulties frontman Wayne Coyne had with trying to get inside a plastic bubble the group had brought on as a stage prop." That's right, Coyne apparently tried to use a giant hamster ball to "crowd-roll". Wow.

No comments: