Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Sushi By Kevin

I went today to a place called Sushi By Kevin. Outside on the awning in bold it says: "Sushi to go!" So I drove over there (it's only a few blocks from my new office, yes I know I could have walked, but I'm lazy and often in a hurry) and ordered some sushi. The chef is a dred-locked, tattoed, pierced (everywhere) guy in his early thirties who quoted Seinfeld (often, but inaccurately) and was appartetly a father, as he was wished a Happy Father's Day. He was/is Kevin. I ordered spicy tuna rolls, and salmon rolls. Total for the 10 pieces was 9.25. Not a bad deal.

While waiting for my dead fish to be wrapped in fish eggs (sort of a ying and yang there) and rice I picked up the local alternative paper. I read there that Steve Vantatenhoven is running against Bob. This was certainly news. Who is Steve Vantatenhoven? No clue. I'll soon learn. But the main portion of his platform as best I can tell is that he wants a return to direct democracy a la the ancient Athenians. I've been using the line for years but finally it has a real opponent, "democracy (direct) is only good for determining who drinks poison." I have to imagine that his votes are siphoned off from the libertarians. That's right we have third party candidates taking from other third party candidates who are taking from the Republicans. It's a mixed up world we live in.

Side notes:

A woman was very nasty to me the other day, primarily I think because she doesn't like politics but also because she was struggling mightily with the word solicitor...and kept saying she didn't take solicililators.

We canvassed a house that was having a garage sale. I peaked my head in to see what kinds of things they had, and saw "Rodeo Bloopers I" and "More Rodeo Bloopers". This prompts two questions: 1. Isn't almost all of the rodeo basically a blooper. It's people falling off of a 2,000 lb bull that has some sort of chaffing device wrapped around its genitals...that's essentially a blooper by itself, right. 2nd do you need a second video. Are the falls really that distinct. Isn't it mainly a guy in cowboy hat and jeans with chaps falling off of giant angry animal with sore private parts. Even NASCAR has numbers and colors to distinguish, as best I can tell rodeo guys don't have uniforms.

I got to use for the first time...my new favorite political term: ballot chase. It refers to efforts made by campaigns to persuade voters who've requested or received absentee ballots. But to me it just sounds like something out of a key stone cops redux of the 2000 Florida election.

No comments: