Saturday, June 19, 2004

Giant Ass

Last night I ventured out in 48 degree weather and spitting rain to do duty as manager of the Bacon for Senate campaign. This duty, attending a Bush Bash with other Dems, was honestly not that hard. It wasn't really what I wanted to be doing, but I went because I should. I also realized that it'd be great story fodder. And it was.

Normally it's quite hard to get lost in Fort Collins. There are these giant things called mountains which are always to the West. Due West. So it's hard to get lost. Except last night the mountains were encased in this horrible thick fog. So West was hard to find, and even harder to find was this random home in the country. I wandered around Windsor (about 8.5 miles East of Fort Collins) until I found something that might be the road I wanted. I took it for a while, and then I saw it, and knew I was on the right track. The it in question: a 40foot, giant red inflatable donkey (40GRID hereinafter). Like the Stars to the 3 Magi, so was this 40GRID to me. I followed it's magnificence to the promised rendez vous with semi-intoxicated Democrats, cut bell peppers and ranch dressing.

On the off chance that anyone not friendly to me or my campaign ever reads this I'll not further describe the various little strange moments involved at the party. Suffice to say I had much less to drink that some folks, I didn't choose to perform a Dean scream, and I didn't hit on anyone. More details available off line.

At the end of the party one of the people I'd talked to who had had a few, but was still very cogent wandered up the hill to the base of the 40GRID. It was then that I realized the 40GRID sat/perched upon a large monolith that resembled tan stone. In point of fact, it looked almost identical to the rock from Who's Next.

I said as much, but sadly no one got the reference. As he approached, I thought, if he pees on this because he too thinks it's like the rock from Who's Next he instantly becomes the coolest person I know in Fort Collins. Alas the 40GRID was not micturated upon in celebration of The Who's ouvre. What can you do?

In other news...on the way out to see 40GRID, and attend the BBQ, I passed a famer's field full of mini boulders (very large rocks). They were spaced regularly and for as far as I could see. Each had a greenish tint to it. Turns out it's a "moss rock" farm...habitat...whatever you call a collection of rocks that have moss on them. Sign proclaimed Moss Rocks for sale $150.

To really botch the line from the Graduate, "I have one word for you, Mossrocks."

No comments: