Sunday, June 13, 2004

Estes Cone

I decided that I was not going to drive 2.5 hours (round trip) just to mosey around. I wanted a hike. And shit, I got one.

I arrived at the Longs Peak Ranger Station (photos are not mine, I'll post mine when they are developed)at 10:00am. Ideally I'd have arrived earlier, but I left on a whim after watching ESPN for about 30 minutes when I first got up. I'm not yet at the "hiking is my thing" stage (especially given that I hike in low cut ADIDAS sneakers....not a good choice). I did pack provisions, water, snickers bars, and starburst. I'm sure I should bring Cliff Bars, and things that come from REI...but gas station food (in part) has kept me alive thus far, why turn my back on it now.

According to my online resources the Estes Cone hike is 3.3 miles with a gain of 1600 feet (topping out at 11,006). It's rated moderate. I'm sure it is, but it's a fairly intense hike at the top.

I made great time through the first mile or two. I think I was at or under 15 minutes per mile, inlcuding a few photos. The elevation gain was slight if at all. I think the trail may have given away as much elevation as it gained over those first 2 miles. Then shit got serious. The trail had previously been somewhat sandy and generally easy. Not any more. Now it was a hike. The trail got rockier, and the trees gnarlier. And the ground tilted upwards.

Finally I got to the .7 to Cone marker. This is where the cairns come in...

The cairns are placed throughout the final 7 tenths of a mile. At this point the trail is nearly indistinguishable from the surround terrain. You're climbing, not walking.


Here is a pictogram of what it looks like....see I'm not a weakling...it gets much steeper all of a sudden. (the numbers a slightly different from those at the Ranger Station, but the general trend is exactly right).

But the summit is amazing. See photos at extra vaganza

No comments: