Friday, June 11, 2004

Physics Lessons and the Things I hear

Today I went out for a meeting at a local coffee shop: Starry Night. Named for the painting not the song. I asked. After parking I walked to the shop and en route saw a very tanned young woman (20 or so) adjusting her haltertop (I think that's what it's called) quite aggressively. Reminscent of the food network specials on bread kneading. Apparently this is part of the ordeal of this garment. She seemed confused by the physics involved, the weight, mass, and gravity calculations that a lifetime of breast ownership and confinement would seem capable of teaching. But the real strange part was she walked by with her two friends: young hipster, trendy jeans and pricey flip flops and her female friend, less tanned, shorter, and with an "ironic" Urban outfitters issued mesh truckers cap suspended at a jaunty angle on her head. From uber-tanner comes the line: "I think everyone is fat." No trace of irony, joviality. Just a blind resignation to the fact that she was bought and owned by American cultural fucked-upedness. So that was something.

No comments: