Tuesday, June 22, 2004

2 for the price of 1

I decided that tonight (well, now it's become last night) I would treat myself to a trip to the drive in movie theater. The theater is 3 blocks from my house. Tonight they were showing for 5 dollars a double bill of Shrek 2 and The Terminal. I'd previously only ever been to a drive in movie once before, where I saw Shrek, so it'd seemed fitting that I'd watch its sequel in the same fashion.

As each of you no doubt knows, I struggle with late night movie watching. Who am I kidding I struggle with mid evening movie watching. While visiting Mark in Boston for the first time we discovered a means by which I could nearly ensure awakedness throughout the duration of the film: the 10:30am movie.

My previous drive in experience was interesting. Too much light pollution meant that the movie was generally just a series of splotchy dark images that I could hear but couldn't really discern. This evening was different. I found the movie decent at least the part I watched. Midway through the film I received a call on my cell. I looked down, and saw it was from a friend ...and having been fairly bored with the previous 15 minutes of the movie--I took the call. An hour later the movie ended. It was strange to watch a silent Shrek 2. There was, as best I can tell a giant ginger bread man, a wedding gone awry, a flying pig, a musical ending of some sort. Generally seemed jovial. Maybe I'll see it on DVD. The good news was that talking to Jen (the friend) didn't put me to sleep...so Mark you'd be proud of me for lasting through an entire movie. It was 11:30pm and there was another movie still to come. I fought my personal demons as long as I could, but finally I was overtaken by sleep around 12:45. I awoke at 1:15am. Apparently some sort of romantic subplot between Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta-Jones had arisen and been resolved. I'm guessing that Tom Hanks' English improved, since he seemed in greater control in the last scene. So long story short--I spent 5 bucks to see most of two movies, through which I was planning on sleeping anyways.

No comments: