Monday, November 27, 2006

Books.

When we were in Seattle this summer, Jesseca and I went to Elliot Bay Books. On a little sheet of paper taped to one of the bookshelves I found a quotation that I've paraphrased many times since. I just found the actual quotation today:

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." Anna Quindlen


Right after finding this quote today, I read an article about another person who wants to decorate with books. Our president. Apparently he and friends (the few that he has left) are trying to raise 500 million dollars for his Legacy Library. 500 million dollars...but what books will belong there? It sounds like the primary goals of the library are a)kick backs to wealthy friends in the form of patronage and contracts b) rewriting history to vindicate the president. But seriously, 500 million. Maybe they are buying a ruby studded copy of My Pet Goat. Will there be a section devoted to the great intelligence briefing classics? Will the Library of Congress categories be revised so that The Bible is listed under philosophy, and history?

No comments: