Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Day 2 at DAPAC, Slugs, REI, and Poker

So today is my second day here at DAPAC (pronounced like DAY Pac, not like Da Bears, though how I wish it were). Getting paid to write. It's a nice deal. I'm writing fundraising letters, and stuff like that. It's not the great American novel, or a Theodore Sorenson speech, but I like it and try to do well. We shall see. The better we do at raising money the better we can do for our candidates--all demonstrably progressive candidates in fairly close districts. It's a challenge, but one that I hope my skills allow me to surmount.

The weekend was good. Jen and I went hiking on the site of an old anti-aircraft battery, and former Nike missile site. (Nike missile, made by American defense contractors and not Malaysian children--just to clarify). While hiking I was treated to the sight of several of the varieties of slugs that make their home here in moist Seattle. Big slugs. Slugs that fear no salt. Slugs that are the length of a long cigar.

I found an apartment. I am living at The Republican Apartments. Isn't it ironic. Way more so than if I had rain on my wedding day. Or any variety of free ride. I will soon reside at 1819 E. Republican (206). Should be good. It's a nice place, and it's across the street from Jen. You know what they say: Location, location, location. Things are coming together here. I went to REI last weekend. It's amazing. The REI here in Seattle is daunting and wonderful, it is to outdoorsy folks what the Mall of America is to an upper midwest housewife with a puffy christmas tree sweater---mecca. A home, a place that embodies your every commercial, acquisitive fantasy. I even think I saw a climber from Montana bowing, and weeping from joy at the sight of the building. Then he circled it. Or maybe I thought I saw that. Strange.

So stay tuned for more updates, and more on the work here. Right now I'm trying to get people with money and good ideals to give it to other people with no money but similar ideals.

Oh, and I'm going to be joining Jen's male friends for poker soon. Someone sent me directions on how to play. It was like reading braille with mittens on...suffice to say I don't know what I'm doing. Here's hoping I don't lose either all my money or what little dignity I pretend to have. Dave Karpf--I call on you to offer suggestions, so that I may take money from the Microsofties...or at least defend my own money.

(Oh, and Jen would probably put this in the comments if I didn't mention it here...but "Poker, I hardly even know her."

No comments: