Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Shut up!

Shut up! You self important, self-congratulating, theoretical liberal, pseudo analyst.

This guy James Ridgeway from the Village Voice pens a short but infuriating article on John Kerry. I

"Look for the Dem biggies, whoever they are these days, to sit down with the rich and arrogant presumptive nominee and try to persuade him to take a hike. Then they can return to business as usual—resurrecting John Edwards, who is still hanging around, or staging an open convention in Boston, or both."

He spends this short article on all the annoyances of politics (blame, expectations, guessing, and finally casual placed idiotic suggestions...sure Howard Dean will be the nominee).

Listen, John Kerry won the primary. He beat a better guy (maybe two). He and the media stopped Howard Dean. That's what happened. Much as I'd like to be writing about my long days preparing for the convention and talking about what jobs I would like in the new Dean administration--that's not the case.

There is a Buddist saying that you hate that which you fear you are. This guy reminds me of myself Junior year. Maybe that's why it bothers me so much. Moderately informed, and certain that whatever I thought was important. I was convinced that I was smarter than everyone, and that really believing in anything was clear evidence of the believers moronic tendencies. You know what, I was wrong. So, too is this tool (and not a useful tool like a wrench, he's like the garden weasel). I just know that these writers who have never done anything in politics except whine and pontificate can all SHUT UP!

Do some work, meet Phil James, feel the power of a well executed JJ plan, learn to love strangers, get all muddy at a Steak Fry, make about 1,506,700 phone calls, learn the stump speech, watch your candidate lose or die, hug your closest friends as they weep and then let's talk. Until then, you know not of what you speak. I always promised myself I'd never go to grad school until I'd lived politics. I never wanted to be some pointy headed liberal elitist who'd never felt the sickening excitement and the excruciating fatigue of 4am on election day. I never wanted to be an analyst--I wanted to be an actor. This guy is neither.