Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Everyone Has a Blog

Yesterday, Emily T (DFA MA/IA/MI) (she of MOVERING) suggested that there should be a single clearinghouse for links to all the DFA alumni blogs. So I've started to collect the list. In so doing I was talking with friends from the campaign and I realized just how many people have blogs now. It's becoming like cell phones. First owning technology was a declaration of self-importance. I'm so important that I have to be accessible to the outside world at all times. Or. I'm so interesting that, hundreds will suffer if they are unable to read my ruminations on skim milk vs. soy milk.

But after a while, you realize that you're just as interesting as unicornlover23.blogspot.com or whathaveyou. And it becomes a steady Democratizing....until everyone has a blog. Then what?

So long, pointless story, short--I'm collecting DFA alums' blog addresses and putting them on the newly "designed" bar on the right.

(Final thought. The self awarness that comes from exposing your personal thoughts on everything to public scrutiny makes blogs tremendously succeptible to ironic non-statements. I know my first posts were littered with cynical and ironic (attempts at least) comments designed to sheild me from scorn. To ensure that I undercut my writing before anyone else had the chance. That's the dangerous thing about the form. Eventually you have to stop caring that people are reading--because in my case, I think the only people reading are friends--and that's not scary in the least. But it has been interesting to see how my writing changes with the perception of being read by a critical audience. I sadly used ironic self-criticism to blunt any potential external criticism. The effect being, fairly annoying reading, and writing that doesn't value the ideas it presents.)

No comments: