Saturday, April 24, 2004

Magritte


So about 3 weeks ago when I saw "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" I remarked that I thought much of the design was taken from Magritte. It was a tossed aside comment, something to sound smart. ( I knew of about 5 of his paitings, not much considering his scope)

Flash forward to a week ago, I've just finished my interview with SEIU (went well) and am waiting to meet Beth for a drink. I have an hour to kill so I wander into the Barnes and Noble Art Books section. I sit down and go through the Magritte book. I fall in love. It's fucking fantastic. His work is so crisp and clean. There is something brave and remarkably honest about it all.

a link to lots of his paintings: I recommend: The Lovers, The Rape, The Discovery of Fire, Attempting the Impossible, and possibly my favorite The Human Condition.

No comments: