Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Next Swing Voter Craze

Just picked up The Office: Season II. Man, being unemployed rocks! There is something dreadfully pathetic and moderately amusing about the line of men (always men) that assembles outside a Best Buy in the morning. I've been in that line a few times.

It's 9:57am and dreary. And arrayed just outside the gated doors of the local Best Buy are computer dorks, movie nerds, and music geeks...and me (the early rising, bored guy).

There is a line, an honest to God line, to get into Best Buy first. I try to guess what everyone is searching for. To no avail. I'm in the checkout line a mere 45 seconds after 10:00 (and am second). First inline is a mid 20s guy buying Master and Commander. Never saw it, cannot say if it warrants the fervor. Then it's me, getting BBC's "The Office" (a combo pack, 'victory is mine!'), as well as a gift for Brian Fusco (whose birthday it is).. Behind me is a boy with a book that ennumerates the many codes, tricks, hidden stages and whatnot of Final Fantasy 43 (or whatever number they're on now).

Some day, hopefully soon, these arrayed AV geeks, and mid quality movie afficionados, and the chronically bored will form a distinct voting bloc. Let's see, we were all white, early 20s to late 40s. One guy had a daughter that he was literally dragging into the store. I'm going to say (completely guessing here) that I was the only Democrat. So yeah, young men, with disposable income, childish hobbies, and nothing to do at 10:00am on a Tuesday---yup sounds like this could be the next swing voter. Best Buy dorks. Or Video game cousins. Dare to dream. I wonder what other semi-cohesive groups deserve to be considered "swing" voters.

No comments: