Thursday, October 14, 2004

Aaron Leavy--attrocious prognosticator

Well, shit.

I predicted a question on the death penalty, got all worked up about it, thought about it, reasoned it out--and nothing. Shows what little I know.

Thoughts:

I was not amazed that Bush avoided any talk of unemployement. I was amazed by his choice of tactics---blame outsourced workers for not being able to read at grade level. A 45 year old worker laid off because of foreign subsidized steel probably doesn't need or want a lecture on what he or she should have learned in 4th grade. Yes, of course education is the key to job creation. But it's not retroactive. You cannot improve the system today and thereby make everyone in the country smarter.

Kerry was pretty good on religion. I for one like religious imagery and talk of values. I think it's a unifying commonality in American rhetoric. But, a straight question on faith seemed like overkill. I'd rather a question on the environment, stem cells, energy policy/renewables/gas prices, a straight up question about education, hell I personally would love a question on the arts--but I'm guessing I'm nearly alone on that one.

Bush lied, or at least misspoke about Osama Bin Laden. There are plenty of other blogs with this link...but you can go here and see Bush explain that he's not too concerned with OBL.

Lots of talk about Kerry commenting on Cheney's daughter's sexuality. I thought it was a bit crass. Just seemed a little much. But I also think that Republicans crying about "outing" Mary Cheney are preposterous--how many times did they say or imply that Hillary Clinton was a lesbian (so as to "damn" her). I guess if you think that being gay is evil, then it's a harsher comment to point out that Mary Cheney is gay. But it's hard to play both sides against the middle, and I think that's their ploy.

Oh, and I really like the Bush description of that painting. But it sounded familiar (something about the imagery was familiar and really beautiful) ... That's because it is.

BUSH 2000 CONVENTION:
My friend, the artist Tom Lea of El Paso, Texas, captured the way I feel about our great land, a land I love. He and his wife, he said, "Live on the east side of the mountain. It's the sunrise side, not the sunset side. It is the side to see the day that is coming, not to see the day that has gone."


BUSH LAST NIGHT
BUSH: In the Oval Office, there's a painting by a friend of Laura and mine named -- by Tom Lea. And it's a West Texas painting, a painting of a mountain scene. And he said this about it. He said, "Sara and I live on the east side of the mountain. It's the sunrise side, not the sunset side. It's the side to see the day that is coming, not to see the day that is gone."


Still a great image, but certainly one that has been around the block a bit.

UPDATE....umm...stealing from Wonkette
"No child left behind is really a jobs act," says Bush. Of course. And Social Security is really a missile defense program. And Federal Highways funding? Actually a part of the Metric Conversion Office. And clean coal legislation helps you make soup."

No comments: