Friday, July 01, 2005

What am I missing here?

On my way home after purchasing new shoes (fancy white running shoes valued at 89.99) I stopped by the Mt. Pleasant 7-11 and bought a bottle of Sprite. While waiting in line I was josteled by a man who was staring at the items behind the counter. Nothing violent, just a slight bump. He reacted as if he'd headbutted Don Corleone, he was apologetic and concilliatory, moving away from me never making full eye contact. Immediately I knew why he was in the store.

He was buying condoms.

A second later my suspicion was confirmed. This is something I've never quite understood. I'm sometimes made uncomfortable by the frequency with which sex is considered a common topic. But as far as I can tell I'm in the minority here, for most men talking about, bragging about and intimating that they've recently had sex is the most prevalent topic of conversation. With all the annoying ego and bravado that comes with men and their talking about sex, why is buying condoms not some celebrated event. It's practically a declaration of impending sexual congress. Wouldn't you figure that that guy would be walking in like the (bad pun) cock of the walk? No, instead he's sheepishly there and barely able to utter his request within an audible decible level. Anyone have thoughts here?

No comments: