Thursday, July 14, 2005

Lanky Gourmet

Unemployment and easy access to the internet have prompted me to work on my culinary repetoire more than I have in a long time. It's a fairly limited set of things that I can make. I've started to enjoy the assembling part of cooking. Previously I'd really only enjoyed disassembling vegetables. Humility aside, I am a mighty fine chopper and dicer, and relished these tasks which helps to explain some of the menu items as prepared by the Lanky Gourmet. Stir fry, stuffed mushrooms, rice dishes, tuna steaks, salmon, tacos,omelets, bruschetta, guacamole, etc (working on Tom Yum soup).

Yesterday I decided to expand the menu and learn how to make crepes. Turns out they are preposterously easy. I'd always associated them with some mastery over the culinary arts. Nope, they're simple and really tasty. Sort of like a hybrid of pancakes and omelets, which as far as cuisine goes is right in my wheelhouse. I'm slowly acquiring the ability to host a very serviceable brunch. Megan suggested that I need to master cinnamon rolls. I figure that plus good mellon balling skills will elevate me into the brunch host category.

The recipe I'm using...should any of you want to make crepes at home:

1 egg
1/2 cup of flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
some salt (you know...not too much, maybe 500 granules)
1/8 teaspoon melted butter (turns out using the microwave is the best for this).

Combine flour and egg in a bowl. Fold together. Add slowly water, stir further. Add milk, butter, and salt. Stir till mixture is smooth.

Pour maybe a 1/4 cup of the mixture into a teflon skillet heated over medium. Swirl mixture. Wait a minute then flip. Eat. So far I've mainly been buttering and sugaring then rolling the crepes. I've also tried sauteed mushrooms. I like the versatility of the crepe.

This ends the Lanky Gourmet post for today.

No comments: