Saturday, March 13, 2004

A lot to be neurotic about

Having returned to Columbus (well, Westerville) from DC and from Key West I've come to realize that I occupy a fairly normal place within my circle of friends. I'm no more or less neurotic, than the mean. Jake Taylor, Matt Robinson, Matt Baldwin, JKD and I travelled 24 hours from DC to Key West, with us were two pouches of beef jerkey, stinkbag, lots of yellow jackets, and several tense regime changes. Thankfully the Axis of Neurosis arrived safely, if not more than a little stinky. We met Captain Carribea, and the Grand Floridian already in progress (already drinking, tanning, reading, being relaxed). In a land created for the pleasure of pasty, paunchy protestants eager for some cheap debauchery, or at least the feeling of cheap debauchery, I returned having embraced some of the islands virtues (relaxation, good food) and a few of the vices (bad bars, and pricey alcohol). Sadly in the shirtless world of the beach, my appearance recalls William Clinton's shameful jogging more so than the idyllic touch football games of the Kennedy clan. I arrived and returned, pasty, and a bit paunch to a degree that offended both viewer and owner. I managed to hide my shame easily, as it was in the low 60s throughout. I witnessed people scuba diving next to others in winter coats.

Random recollections: Large number of older males paired with younger woman, as if to suggest, "I'm thriving, and if nothing else I can afford this, so let's just pretend I'm healthy, wealthy and not your father's golf buddy."

I've rarely seen a place so enthusiastically and authoritatively pursue a mantra of self pleasure. It was required that you relax. It was ruled by some Jimmy Buffet gestapo.

Drag Shows can be fun. Especially if your friend is the much beloved audience member....even if he wouldn't "last 5 minutes at a tranny show in San Francisco." (quote, not mine)

"Jewfish Creek" remains a distubing image.

The return trip was great. Long drive, good company.

Since then I have returned to DC, and then in turn returned to Columbus. After a seemingly chance encounter with a fellow Iowarrior in DC, and the ensuing great conversations. I'm left more confused than before--though quite pleased. I have this strange sly smile about the whole thing (somewhere between a knowing glance and my normal pensive look). Who's to say what comes next. Distance and time being two Axises overwhich I have no control--I'm hopeful without being expectant. And so..."there's a lot to be neurotic about."

Though today and the previous 7 have really each represented, " A new day for Democrats." Or at least new days for me. I've gone from easily worried, and likely concerned, to something resembling normal. Making me the Iran of the Axis of Neurosis....sorta functional. DC granted me a reprieve from the desire to maintain and modify and tweak my personna. Instead, I read, and conversed, and allowed myself the privildedge of external definition. I'm doing well.

No comments: