Friday, August 05, 2005

Familiar Sensations

Today was a great day for two strong familiar feelings. The first was a strange reminder of just how nice a peanutbutter and jelly sandwhich can be. Every day as a school kid I took a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich to work. Every day. For 6 years. The thing is, after 2 years I hated the taste of these sandwhiches. For a couple of years mom substituted graham crackers for the bread. I basically never ate my the largest part of my lunch for years. And yet I never told my mom (I have since told her). I'm not sure why I did this. But before this morning I hadn't had a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich since I was 11.

Looking for something to eat before I ran out the door to catch the bus I realized I had all the ingredients for the most simple of sandwhiches. Whipping one up and downing it with a glass of milk I was returned to an idealized 50s house with an apron and heel wearing mother. I felt like I should have been wearing a propellor beanie. And you know what, it's a great taste. The sugary and slippery jelly (preserves in my case) really does work with peanutbutter. I'm not sure why I figured this wouldn't be the case, but I was honestly surprised. Apparently generations of people weren't all wrong. Go figure.

The other familiar feeling was that of working...all day. Today I arrived before 9 and except for 5 minutes spent walking to get lunch, I worked all day. I'll be working for at least part of this weekend. There is something fantastic about The Large Project. Something reassuring about contesting with your own ability to focus, and endure and realizing that you're capable. I love work. I have, far too often, defined myself (and in my worst moments--others) by the work I do, or more appropriately by the sheer volume of work I am able to complete. Under less fortunate circumstances being an ADHD case tends to make me bright but disjointed, but when faced with work worth doing I get this strange focus and finally my energy and pace are put to use. Today was one of those days. I wrote a bunch, learned a bunch, and am mentally racing.

Here's to old favorites.

No comments: