Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Suggestions?

As I've done in the past, I'm using this blog to solicit suggestions. This time, it's for reading material. I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. It's beautiful, tragic, and lovely. It's a hard book to read at times, not because the writing is bad, rather because the writing and the ideas are so powerful. There are moments of sadness in the book that feel overly real, I'm not used to feeling as affected by a book. So while I liked it very much, I think I'll have to wait on reading another of his books for a bit.

So this brings me to the question, what should I be reading? Usually the way I figure this out is I go to Kramer Books and Afterwards and wander around and something leaps out at me, I buy it and am rewarded. This time I figured I'd be a little more intentional.

Right now, as I wait for your recommendations I'm rereading The Corrections. It's the first time I've reread any book of fiction since I was in high school. I just, as a matter of course, don't do it. And I'm not certain I'll finish it before I skip off to some new book. Other books I've really liked: Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay, everything by Franzen, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, Devil in the White City, Snow Crash, Pattern Recognition, Catch-22, stuff like that.

So I await your recommendations--and please if you could, let me know why you think I'd like it...or why you did.

No comments: